Brakes are an important safety component for everyone on the road, including commercial motor vehicles. As a reminder of the importance of brake safety for commercial motor vehicles, the Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance hosts Commercial Brake Safety Week. This year Brake Safety Week is August 21 through August 27. Here, we discuss Brake Safety Week, commercial motor vehicles, and Brake Safety Week inspections.
We hope the below discussion helps remind you of the importance of commercial brake safety. If a driver injures you in a Las Vegas area truck accident, contact an experienced personal injury lawyer. A personal injury lawyer will help to protect your rights and ensure you receive maximum compensation.
Anthem Injury Lawyers has a dedicated team of lawyers and staff ready to help you with your personal injury case. Insurance companies and other parties are not interested in helping you receive what you should as a victim in a Las Vegas accident. Your Las Vegas accident lawyer should have a proven track record of winning cases like yours for significant compensation. Time is of the essence when pursuing compensation in truck accident cases. Don’t delay—have our Las Vegas accident lawyers review your case. Sometimes people avoid contacting an accident lawyer because they worry about cost. You don’t have to worry about affordability. Our attorneys don’t get paid unless they win your case. Contact Anthem Injury Lawyers at (702) 857-6000 to make an appointment for a free consultation.
What Is Commercial Brake Safety Week?
- Identify and remove commercial motor vehicles with critical vehicle inspection violation items identified in the North American Standard Out-of-Service Criteria from roadways.
- Conduct inspections and identify and acknowledge commercial motor vehicles that do not have critical vehicle inspection violations by affixing those vehicles with a CVSA [Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance] decal.
- Encourage proactive vehicle maintenance in advance of the week.
- Highlight the hard work and commitment to safety by inspectors, drivers and motor carriers.
- Remind drivers and motor carriers about the importance of proper brake maintenance and vehicle pre-trip and post-trip inspections.
- Provide an opportunity for outreach and educational brake-safety efforts by inspectors.
Unfortunately, one week focused on inspections and education is not enough to ensure that every commercial motor vehicle is operating safely. If a commercial motor vehicle injures you in a truck accident, you should speak with an experienced personal injury lawyer. The law firm of Anthem Injury Lawyers has a dedicated team of personal injury lawyers serving the Las Vegas area. Call Anthem Injury Lawyers today at (702) 857-6000 to make an appointment for a free consultation.
What Is Considered a Commercial Motor Vehicle?
We have all seen big trucks on the road. Do you know the actual definition of a commercial motor vehicle in Nevada? In Nevada, a commercial motor vehicle is a motor vehicle or combination of motor vehicles used in commerce to transport passengers or property if the motor vehicle:
- Has a gross combination weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more inclusive of a towed unit(s) with a gross vehicle weight rating of more than 10,000 pounds; or
- Has a gross vehicle weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more; or
- Is designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver; or
- Is of any size and is used in the transportation of hazardous materials that require placarding.
Drivers of commercial motor vehicles are responsible for the safety and maintenance of their vehicle. They must pay attention to any indications that there might be brake issues. Drivers who notice brake issues should have their brakes inspected immediately. If there is an issue, it should be fixed before the vehicle returns to the road.
Even the most cautious driver can be injured in a truck accident. If another driver injures you in an accident, consult with an experienced personal injury lawyer. Anthem Injury Lawyers is a team of experienced, dedicated personal injury lawyers and case managers. Contact us today at (702) 857-6000 for a free consultation.
What Is the Focus of Brake Safety Week?
This year, the focus area for Commercial Brake Safety Week is brake hose/tubing chafing violations. During inspections, inspectors will capture and record data on brake hose/tubing chafing violations as well as other violations.
- Look for missing, non-functioning, loose, contaminated or cracked parts on the brake system, and non-manufactured holes (such as rust holes and holes created by rubbing or friction) and broken springs in the spring brake housing section of the parking brake
- Listen for audible air leaks around brake components and lines, and ensure the air system maintains air pressure between 90-100 psi (620-690 kPa).
- Check for S-cam flip-over and measure pushrod travel
- Check that slack adjusters are the same length (from center of S-cam to center of clevis pin) and the air chambers on each axle are the same size
- Inspect required brake-system warning devices, such as ABS malfunction lamp(s) and low air-pressure warning devices
- Ensure the breakaway system is operable on the trailer
- Inspect the tractor protection system, including the bleed-back system on the trailer
EXPERIENCED LAS VEGAS PERSONAL INJURY LAWYERS
If you are a commercial truck driver, we hope you focus on maintaining your commercial brakes throughout the year. If a driver injures you in a Las Vegas area accident, you should speak with an experienced personal injury lawyer. Some people wonder why they need a personal injury lawyer to help them. A personal injury lawyer will work aggressively to protect your rights and help you receive maximum compensation for your injuries.
Award-winning law firm Anthem Injury Lawyers is a team of experienced and dedicated personal injury lawyers. We are based in Henderson, Nevada, and serve clients throughout the Las Vegas area. When we say we offer personal injury law experience, we mean over 25 years of experience. This is the combination of knowledge and expertise you need to win significant compensation as a victim in a Las Vegas area accident. Our decades of experience, our expertise, plus our deep familiarity with all aspects of Nevada law, give you a powerful advantage. You will need that advantage to fight against those who may keep you from receiving what you deserve as a Las Vegas accident victim.
Your choice of an accident lawyer is one of the most consequential decisions you will ever make. It’s important to select a Las Vegas attorney that can put you in the best position to win your case. That’s why you need to speak with Anthem Injury Lawyers. Get the best accident attorneys in Las Vegas fighting for you. Our experts offer you the best opportunity to win top compensation. Contact Anthem Injury Lawyers today at (702) 857-6000 to make an appointment for a free consultation.