Did You Know It Is National Burn Awareness Week?
Every year, approximately 400,000 people in the United States receive medical care for treatment of burn injuries. A burn occurs when heat, chemicals, sunlight, electricity, or radiation damages skin tissue. In recognition of the dangers of burn injuries, the American Burn Association (ABA) promotes National Burn Awareness Week. National Burn Awareness Week is an opportunity to focus on burn injury awareness, safety, and education. This year, National Burn Awareness Week is February 7 through February 13. Below we will discuss the different types of burns, answer common questions about burn injuries, and provide tips for burn prevention and treatment.
Burns can have many causes, including car accidents. If you are injured in a car accident that is not your fault, contact an experienced personal injury lawyer. A personal injury lawyer will help to protect your rights and ensure you receive maximum compensation for your injuries. Anthem Injury Lawyers has a dedicated team of lawyers and staff ready to help you with your personal injury case. Insurance companies are not motivated to pay you significant compensation. You need an experienced Las Vegas personal injury lawyer to fight for your rights. With our car accident lawyers on your side, you’ll be in the best position to win your case. Don’t wait: ensure you have an experienced personal injury lawyer who can help you get the compensation you deserve. Contact us at (702) 857-6000 to make an appointment for a free consultation.
For a free legal consultation, call (702) 857-6000
What Are the Types of Burns?
Burns are classified by the degree of severity. Burn degrees include the following:
- First-degree burns are mild. The top layer of skin turns red and is painful. It typically does not blister.
- Second-degree burns affect the skin’s top and lower layers. You may experience pain, redness, swelling, and blistering.
- Third-degree burns affect all three skin layers. The burn destroys hair follicles and sweat glands. Third-degree burns damage nerve endings.
Now that you know the types of burns, we can answer some common questions about burns.
Common Questions About Burn Injuries
Below we will answer some common questions about burns. Please note that the information below comes from the American Burn Association (ABA).
How Common Are Burn Injuries?
Burn injuries are very common and continue to be one of the leading causes of accidental death and injury in the United States. In 2018, 40,000 people were treated in hospitals for burn related injuries.
Who Is Most Vulnerable To Burn Injuries?
The ABA states that, tragically, children, the elderly, and the disabled are especially vulnerable to burn injuries. Almost one-third of all burn injuries occur in children under the age of 15.
Do People Survive Burn Injuries?
Yes, people survive burn injuries. Approximately 96.8 percent of those who suffer burn injuries will survive. Unfortunately, survivors can sustain serious scarring, life-long physical disabilities, and adjustment difficulties.
Do People Survive Fire and Smoke Inhalation?
Yes, people do survive fire and smoke inhalation. Tragically, in 2018 there were 3,655 deaths from fire and smoke inhalation.
Who Is Most Likely To Suffer From a Burn Injury?
According to the ABA, compared to the overall population:
- Children under five are 2.0 times as likely to be seen for burn injuries at a hospital emergency department.
- Young adults from 20 to 29 have 1.4 times the risk.
- Those in the 30 to 39 age group have 1.3 times the risk of the general population.
What Are the Primary Causes of Burn Injury?
The primary causes of injury include the following:
- Contact with hot objects
Where Do Most Injuries Occur?
Most of the injuries occur in the home.
Now that you have answers to some common burn questions, we can discuss tips to prevent burns. Burns are typically the result of an accident. If you are injured in an accident that is not your fault, contact an experienced personal injury lawyer. Las Vegas Anthem Injury Lawyers is a team of experienced, dedicated personal injury lawyers and case managers. We offer the level of knowledge and expertise you need to give you the best opportunity to gain the compensation you deserve. Remember that insurance companies are not on your side; you need experienced Las Vegas personal injury lawyers who have successfully won compensation for accident victims. Contact us today at (702) 857-6000 to make an appointment for a free consultation.
Click to contact our personal injury lawyers today
How Can You Prevent Burns?
Burns are common in the kitchen, near outdoor cooking, around fireworks, and around certain household appliances. You can prevent burns by being extra cautious in these areas and by doing the following:
- Always supervise children in the kitchen and dining areas.
- Keep children at least three feet away from the stove.
- Use the back burner of the stove and turn pot handles away from its edge. Remember, children love to reach.
- Keep clothing from coming in contact with flames or heating elements.
- Safely store dangerous items out of children’s reach. This includes matches, gasoline, and lighters.
- Prevent accidental scalding by adjusting your water heater.
- When turning on the bathtub or shower, turn on cold water first and then carefully mix in warmer water.
- Open microwaved food slowly, away from the face.
- Never allow young children to handle fireworks and closely supervise older children.
- Never use illegal or homemade fireworks.
- When cooking outdoors, use long-handled barbecue tools.
- Keep a three-foot safe zone around grills, fire pits, and campfires.
We hope the above tips help you prevent burns. The law firm of Anthem Injury Lawyers understands that even if you are cautious, accidents can happen. If you are the victim in an accident, it is important that you seek experienced legal representation. Our personal injury lawyers serve the Las Vegas area with the knowledge and expertise to help you gain maximum compensation for your injuries. If you’ve been the victim in an accident caused by another, you need the advantage that comes with our experience: contact Anthem Injury Lawyers today at (702) 857-6000 to make an appointment for a free consultation.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
What Is Burn First Aid?
We hope the above tips help you and your loved ones avoid burns. If you or a loved one experience a burn, the U.S. Fire Administration provides the following first aid tips:
- Treat the burn right away.
- Put the burn in cool water for three to five minutes.
- Cover the burn with a clean, dry cloth. Do not apply creams, ointments, sprays, or other home remedies.
- Contact your doctor for serious burns.
Burns can have many causes, including car accidents. If you are burned in a car accident that is not your fault, contact an experienced personal injury lawyer. The law firm of Anthem Injury Lawyers has a dedicated team of lawyers and staff ready to help you with your personal injury case. Don’t worry if your injuries or other issues keep you from visiting us at our Las Vegas area law office. We can come to you to discuss your case. Contact us today at (702) 857-6000 to make an appointment for a free consultation.
EXPERIENCED LAS VEGAS PERSONAL INJURY LAWYERS
Award-winning personal injury law firm Anthem Injury Lawyers is a team of experienced, dedicated personal injury lawyers based in Henderson, Nevada. We serve clients in Las Vegas and vicinity. With over 25 years of experience, Anthem Injury Lawyers specializes in personal injury claims, including car accidents, pedestrian accidents, and motorcycle accidents. We offer a powerful combination of expertise, experience, and aggressive action – just what you need to win your Las Vegas personal injury case. Don’t wait: ensure that you have the best opportunity to win your personal injury case. Call our Las Vegas lawyers now at (702) 857-6000 to make an appointment for a free consultation. If you are unable to come to us, we can travel to you.
Call or text (702) 857-6000 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form