Injured in an Uber or Lyft Accident? Call Us For a FREE Legal Consultation
Rideshare services like Uber and Lyft have paved a revolutionary way in the on-demand transport industry. Gone are the days of competing with dozens of strangers to hail a taxi cab on a busy street. Now you just have to pin down where you want to go on your app and send a request to pick you up. An Uber or Lyft car will pull up to where you’re standing and take you to your destination. That’s all it takes!
These services are highly popular for people who want to save vehicle costs or struggle to find parking in busy areas. They’ve significantly helped lower drunk driving accidents as they make it easy to find a safe ride home after drinking. However, Henderson has witnessed a rise in ridesharing accidents over the last few years. Contacting a Henderson rideshare accident lawyer is crucial for accident victims.
There are over 1.7 million rideshare drivers operating in the US. Many Uber and Lyft drivers do this gig part-time. They aren’t as professionally trained as taxi cab drivers. So it’s not surprising to see them struggle to cope with the busy Henderson streets.
If you got into an accident caused by a ridesharing driver, you’re entitled to seek compensation for your damages from them.
However, the insurance battles can be a little more complex with ridesharing companies being thrown into the mix. There may be multiple liable parties, which means your claim will be strongly challenged. You’ll need a reputed Henderson rideshare accident lawyer to legally protect your rights and get the settlement you deserve.
The Importance of Rideshare Accident Attorneys in Henderson
A rideshare accident may look like any other car accident, but it involves some legal complexities that are better handled by lawyers who specialize in handling such cases.
An effective rideshare accident lawyer can help you get a settlement that is 3-4 times bigger than the amount you’d get without any legal representation.
Let’s take a deeper look at how rideshare accident attorneys can assist you:
- Getting you compensated – Ridesharing accidents can have devastating physical, emotional, and financial consequences, especially if you suffer a severe injury or lose a loved one. Taking legal action on time is the only way to secure your immediate and long-term recovery. Anthem’s Henderson rideshare accident lawyers can help maximize your compensation in minimum time. They’ll use their legal knowledge and extensive experience handling these cases to choose the most effective legal strategy for your case.
- Defending your rights – Every claim is essentially a legal battle to pin liability on the other party. So when you get ridesharing giants like Uber and Lyft involved, they’re going to aggressively protect their interests. They have billions of dollars to hire a legal army that will try to push liability onto your shoulders. A knowledgeable rideshare attorney will aggressively defend your rights and ensure you’re not taken advantage of. They will thoroughly investigate the circumstances surrounding the accident and present all the evidence necessary to back up your claim.
- Dealing with insurance companies – Insurance companies are not on “your side,” even if it is your own insurance provider. They are businesses motivated to do one thing above all else – minimizing payouts to maximize profits. They are notorious for delaying, underpaying, and denying injury claims even if there was no negligence on your part. Your attorney can see through the confusing legal tricks they play to make you lose or give up your claim. They know how to play hardball when negotiations escalate. They will review your policy coverage and ensure no loopholes can be used to deny what you’re owed. constantly trying to minimize their payouts and deny coverage of medical expenses related to an accident.
- Fast-tracking your compensation – The claims process may involve a ton of legal paperwork and follow-ups that will delay your compensation. It could stretch on for months or years leaving you in a financial mess. Missing legal deadlines could even forfeit your rights to compensation. A skillful rideshare attorney knows the ins and outs of the claims process. They will file all the necessary documentation on time and minimize unnecessary back-and-forth communication with your insurer. So your payout will come through to support you exactly when you need it.
- Supporting you through every step of the case – There are several steps between getting hurt and getting compensated. We know how painful and nerve-wracking it is to cope with your injuries after an accident. Adding the burden of insurance and legal to the mix can make you feel stressed and overwhelmed. At Anthem, we’re committed to taking charge of every legal step – from gathering evidence and filing a claim to negotiating a settlement and going to court. We’ll keep you updated about the case progress and answer all your concerns. Let us do the legal heavy lifting while you peacefully recover.
Choosing the Right Law Firm
A successful settlement is the outcome of a smooth lawyer-client relationship. And that’s only possible when you’re sure you’re getting the best legal representation possible. If there’s one thing you should do enough research about for your case, it’s finding a good rideshare accident lawyer in your area. Because they’ll do the rest of your legal research and take suitable actions. You won’t have to lift a finger after that.
Here are a few reasons why Anthem rideshare accident attorneys can be the right match for your case:
- We offer free consultations to help you understand what your case is worth and what steps to take next
- You won’t have to pay us anything unless we win your settlement
- Our round-the-clock availability provides you with smooth and timely assistance
- Our consistently high ratings and awards as a reputable law firm in Henderson
Don’t take our word for it. Check out our history of case settlements showing how we helped several rideshare accident victims like you win their claims.
After an Accident: Steps to Take
It’s true that your lawyer will do most of the legal heavy lifting for filing a claim. But ask yourself – “What is a strong claim built on?”
It means the foundation of your case is laid at the site of your accident. Hiring a lawyer as early as possible after an accident is the right step. But you still need to take a few important steps before it to ensure you make their work much more efficient.
Here are some essential steps you should follow after a rideshare accident to build a strong claim:
- Ensure your safety: The main priority is to keep you safe. If possible, relocate to a secure area away from traffic and any dangers. If you are hurt, get medical help right away. Your well-being and rehabilitation should come first.
- Report the incident to the Henderson police: They will reach the scene, evaluate the circumstances, and compile a formal accident report. This report will be an important piece of evidence in support of your claim.
- Obtain information: Request crucial details from each party involved in the accident. This includes any other drivers or witnesses present, as well as the name, contact information, and insurance information of the ride-sharing driver. Take pictures of any visible injuries, the accident scene, and the damaged vehicles.
- Inform the ridesharing company of the accident: The ridesharing company (such as Uber or Lyft) will have established procedures for dealing with accidents involving their drivers. Give them the pertinent information and request confirmation of your report.
- Keep a record of your damages and injuries: Keep track of your wounds, medical care, and all associated costs. Obtain copies of medications, bills, and medical records. Keep track of any lost wages or missed workdays as a result of the accident. Your claim for compensation will be supported in part by this documentation.
- Consult a ridesharing accident attorney: Get in touch with a knowledgeable ridesharing accident attorney in Henderson to help you through the legal dispute, uphold your rights, and assist you in pursuing recompense. We will assess your case, gather evidence, engage in negotiations with insurers, and, if required, represent you in court.
- Avoid speaking with insurance adjusters: Avoid giving recorded statements and refusing to accept any settlement offers without first seeking legal advice. Insurance adjusters might attempt to collect data that could be used against you or make poor settlement offers. To safeguard your interests, your attorney will manage all discussions with insurance providers.
Uber and Lyft’s Impact in Henderson
The Las Vegas Metropolitan Area is a dream destination that hosts over 42 million international and domestic visitors each year. It has one of the busiest resort and casino corridors in the world, which stay active throughout the night.
Uber and Lyft got their regulatory approval for operation in September 2015. It didn’t take long for them to take the market by storm. Uber achieved over a million rides at McCarran Airport from 2015 to 2016.
How far have they come since then? 35 percent of Henderson visitors opt for ridesharing services. Only 19 percent of them use taxis and 13 percent use rental cars. It’s predicted that Uber and Lyft will close the gap between people who own their vehicles (52 percent) in the next few years.
Understanding Liability in Rideshare Accidents
Nevada is a fault state when it comes to dealing with personal injury claims. The state laws allow you to file a claim against the liable party’s insurance provider to get compensated. However, you can only seek compensation if you share no more than 50 percent of the fault for the accident.
You will need to file a claim with the liable party’s insurance company in order to recover compensation through an insurance claim. You can only demand compensation by proving the liability of the other party involved in the accident.
You need to prove the following elements to hold them liable:
- The party owed you a duty of reasonable care
- They neglected their duty of care
- This act of negligence was the proximate cause of your accident
- This accident led to the injuries and damages you suffered
You’ll be pleased to know that both Uber and Lyft offer one-million-dollar liability coverage for their drivers when they carry passengers. It can pay for any injuries suffered by the driver and passengers traveling in the ridesharing vehicle.
However, it’s important to note that Uber and Lyft hire rideshare drivers as independent contractors. They are not official employees of the companies. The drivers sign a contract affirming their employment status as independent contractors when they start working.
It means that ridesharing drivers will generally be liable for any damages caused by an accident. Uber and Lyft’s insurance policies have specific clauses that lay out the precise terms when you can hold them liable. So even though the one-million-dollar coverage sounds comforting, it’s not as easy to access as you think.
Unpacking Insurance Coverage for Rideshare Accidents
Let’s take a deeper look at the different insurance scenarios that you may have to deal with after a ridesharing accident:
- The driver was not logged into the app – Uber and Lyft’s coverage only kicks in when the driver is actively using the app. You can only file a claim against the driver’s auto insurance.
- The driver was logged in, but didn’t accept any ride request – Uber and Lyft will provide liability coverage up to $50,000 per person and $100,000 total liability per accident.
- When the driver accepted the ride request and was on the way to the pick-up location – You can file a claim against Uber and Lyft’s $1 million liability coverage.
- When the driver was completing a trip with the customer in their car – You can get liability coverage of up to $1 million. Uber and Lyft also provide limited coverage for damage to the driver’s car and uninsured motorist coverage.
Determining the Value of a Rideshare Accident Case
The size of your compensation depends on the seriousness of the accident. How big of an impact has it had on your life? A few cuts and bruises won’t demand any intensive testing and treatment. But a traumatic brain injury or a broken leg can take far longer to heal. It can disrupt your work, create thousands of dollars of medical debt, and dampen your quality of life for a long time.
Here are the types of damages you can seek for your rideshare accident case:
Economic damages – These are financial losses that can easily be documented. They include medical bills, lost earnings, and property damages.
Non-economic damages – These are intangible losses that are highly subjective. It’s not easy to document them without a skillful rideshare accident attorney’s help. They include damages for mental anguish, pain and suffering, and PTSD.
Punitive damages – Extreme negligence demands extreme legal measures. In rare cases, you may also be awarded punitive damages as a way to punish highly negligent drivers. These actions are usually taken as a strict measure to prevent other drivers from taking their duty of care casually.
Vehicle Requirements and Driver Responsibility
Rideshare drivers must meet the following criteria to qualify for signing up as a Lyft or Uber driver:
- You must have a valid driver’s license
- You must be a Nevada resident
- A clear profile photo showing your full face
- You must have the minimum vehicle insurance required for all drivers in Nevada
- A Motor Vehicle Report (MVR) with no more than 3 incidents in recent history
- No serious criminal and driving violations over the last seven years
- Passed the full online screening process
- You must have a reliable 4-door vehicle no more than 16 years in reasonably good condition
- Your car must pass the Uber/Lyft vehicle inspection test
Mitigating Negligent Driving Risks
Convenience is no excuse for negligence. Ridesharing has made on-demand transport much more accessible, but it’s also opened the door to inexperienced and reckless drivers causing problems on the road. There are several cases of reckless driving, and intoxicated/impaired driving involved in ridesharing accidents.
There needs to be a collaborative effort between ridesharing drivers and their companies to keep the Henderson community safe. Better hiring practices, training, and monitoring of driving behavior are necessary to mitigate these accidents.
If you’ve been injured in a ridesharing accident, you need to get in touch with a Henderson ridesharing lawyer as soon as possible.