Do I Need To File A Police Report After a Car Accident?

Schedule a Free Consultation

    April 19 2019

    Some people think that it is not necessary to file a police report after they’ve been in an auto accident.  This is a mistake. This very important document is critical if you ever decide to seek compensation for the injuries and property damage that you suffered in your accident.  An accident report is also required by law in Nevada if your accident is not investigated at the scene by the police. See NRS 484E.070.

    Do I need to file a police report after a car accident?

    The Importance of Filing A Police Report

    The purpose of a police accident report is to provide an accurate third party documentation of an accident.

    Having a police report is important evidence to support your claim if you decide to submit a car insurance claim or file a lawsuit against the at-fault driver.

    Information Provided in a Police Report

    A police report provides important information that a car insurance company or personal injury lawyer may ask you for if you decide to file a claim for compensation.  It is written from the point of view of the police officer who responds to the scene of the accident.

    A police report will include details of the accident including:

    • Date and time of the accident
    • Location of the motor vehicle accident
    • Description of any vehicle damage or damage to any other property
    • Description of any injuries sustained by parties as the result of the accident
    • Estimate of repairs
    • Insurance information

    Obtaining a Police Report

    To obtain a police report, you should do the following:

    • Call the police immediately after the accident occurs.  Do this even if you feel that the accident was minor.
    • Give the details of the accident to the responding law enforcement officer.  The other driver and any witnesses will do the same.
    • Make sure that you get a copy of the police report.  Once the officer has filed the report, request that an official copy of the report is sent to your insurance provider.

    If the police does not respond to the scene of your accident, you can file an accident report yourself either in person, over the phone, or online.  The form that you are required to fill out is called the SR-1, Report of Traffic Accident.  You have 10 days after the date of the accident to file this report.

    Experienced Las Vegas Personal Injury Lawyers

    If you have been in a car accident, you should speak with an experienced personal injury attorney who can help you protect your rights.

    If you are looking for a law firm with experienced car accident attorneys, contact Anthem Injury Lawyers today.  Our phone number is (702) 857-6000.  We offer Free Consultations.

    Back to Main Page

    Related Articles

    December 3 2021

    Do You Know Our Top

    As we approach the holidays and get
    Do You Know Nevada's Impaired Driving Laws
    December 1 2021

    Do You Know Nevada’s Impaired

    This month a Las Vegas driver was
    Do You Know Our Top Motorcycle Safety Tips
    November 29 2021

    Do You Know Our Top

    This month a motorcyclist tragically died days