Have you heard the roar of motorcycles on the road? As the weather heats up that means an increase in motorcycles. May is Motorcycle Safety Awareness Month. It’s a crucial time for riders and drivers to focus on motorcycle safety, which we will discuss below.
We hope the below discussion helps you stay safe on Las Vegas roads. If a driver injures you in a motorcycle accident, get medical help immediately. Once you have sought medical care, contact an experienced personal injury lawyer. A personal injury lawyer will help to protect your rights and ensure you receive maximum compensation.
As a Las Vegas accident victim, you don’t want to fight alone against insurance companies. They do not have your best interests in mind. Anthem Injury Lawyers has a dedicated team of lawyers and staff ready to help you with your personal injury case. Insurance companies and other parties are not interested in helping you receive what you should as a victim in a Las Vegas accident. Your Las Vegas personal injury lawyer should have a proven track record of winning cases like yours for significant compensation. Our lawyers offer you 25 years of experience winning top compensation for Las Vegas accident victims.
Time is of the essence when pursuing compensation in motorcycle accident cases. Don’t delay—have our Las Vegas accident lawyers review your case. Sometimes people avoid contacting an accident lawyer because they worry about cost. You don’t have to worry about affordability. Our attorneys don’t get paid unless they win your case. Contact Anthem Injury Lawyers at (702) 857-6000 to make an appointment for a free consultation.
Motorcycle Accident Facts
Unfortunately, motorcycle accidents are common and deadly occurrences. The following motorcycle accident facts come from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration:
- In 2019, traffic crashes killed 5,014 motorcyclists, accounting for 14 percent of the total highway fatalities that year.
- In 2018, traffic crashes killed 5,038 motorcyclists.
- Per vehicle mile traveled in 2019, motorcyclists were about 29 times more likely than passenger vehicle occupants to die in a motor vehicle crash. Motorcyclists were also four times more likely to be injured.
- Motorcycle riders involved in fatal crashes in 2019 had higher percentages of alcohol impairment than any other type of motor vehicle driver.
- Forty-two percent of the 1,886 motorcycle riders who died in single-vehicle crashes in 2019 were alcohol-impaired.
- Improper use of a vehicle’s rear-view and side-view mirrors contributes to collisions, particularly with smaller vehicles like motorcycles.
Nevada Motorcycle Accident Facts
Nevadans are not immune to the dangers of motorcycle accidents. May already started out with a serious injury crash involving a motorcyclist at Wigwam Parkway and Pecos Road. The motorcycle rider was seriously injured in the crash and was taken to a local hospital in critical condition.
Unfortunately, motorcycle accidents are a common occurrence in Nevada. Consider the following facts on Nevada motorcycle accidents from the Nevada Departments of Public Safety & Transportation:
- In 2018, 59 riders lost their lives on Nevada’s roadways while riding motorcycles.
- One in five Nevada traffic fatalities in 2018 was a motorcycle rider.
- The majority of multi-vehicle motorcycle crashes are caused when drivers don’t see the motorcyclist.
- Forty-five percent of motorcycle riders involved in fatal crashes were also speeding.
- Impaired riding is the top contributing factor to fatal motorcycle crashes, accounting for 43 percent of deaths.
We hope you stay safe this Motorcycle Safety Awareness Month. We also understand that even the most cautious rider can be injured in an accident. If you have suffered a traumatic brain injury after being injured in a motorcycle accident, seek a personal injury lawyer with traumatic brain injury experience. The legal team at Anthem Injury Lawyers is experienced in dealing with traumatic brain injuries. We will fight for you by determining the cause of the accident, determining potentially liable parties, and dealing with the insurance companies. Contact us at (702) 857-6000 to make an appointment for a free consultation.
Tips for Drivers
Drivers play an important role in motorcycle safety. It’s important that you take care when motorcycles are present. Consider the following tips from the Motorcycle Safety Foundation whenever you are on the road:
- Check for motorcycles. Motorcycles are easy to overlook in the car’s blind spot because of their small size. Whenever you are making a turn or changing lanes you should check for motorcycles and then check again.
- Motorcycles are closer than they appear. The size of a motorcycle can make it difficult to judge its speed and distance. Whenever you see a motorcycle, you should assume it is closer than it appears.
- Give them space. A motorcyclist may not activate their brake light until they are already slowing down. Often, a motorcyclist slows down by downshifting, not using their brake. Allow extra follow distance. Remember, an accident between a car and a motorcycle can be deadly for the rider.
- Motorcyclists get their own lane. Motorcyclists often engage in lane shifting for several reasons including road debris, wind, and to maintain visibility. Just because a motorcyclist adjusts their lane position does not mean that you should try to share a lane.
- Motorcyclists are people. Give a rider the same consideration you give everyone else on the road. The person on the bike could be your friend, neighbor, or family member.
Tips for Riders
Motorcyclists play an important role in their own safety on the road. Below are tips from the Motorcycle Safety Foundation for riders:
- Be visible. It can be difficult for drivers to see you on the road. You can help by wearing bright clothing and a light-colored helmet. You can increase your visibility by using your headlights and steering clear of blind spots.
- Assume drivers can’t see you. The best way to stay safe is to be extra aware of the vehicles around you. Ride defensively and do not assume that the other drivers see you.
- Protect yourself. Every ride you need to wear proper riding gear to help you stay safe. Always wear a helmet. Ideally a helmet with full-face protection. You should also wear clothing and boots made for riding. Riding gear tends to provide extra protection.
- Use smart riding strategies. Stay alert for changing conditions and use the Search-Evaluate-Execute strategy (SEE) to assess and respond to hazards before you have to react to an emergency.
- Check your bike before every ride. A preride check can help you avoid an unnecessary accident. Your check should include your tires, fluids, cables, lights, and electronics.
EXPERIENCED LAS VEGAS PERSONAL INJURY LAWYERS
We hope the above discussion helps you stay safe on and around motorcycles. If you are injured in a Las Vegas area motorcycle accident, you should speak with an experienced personal injury lawyer. Some people wonder why they need a personal injury lawyer to help them. A personal injury lawyer will work aggressively to protect your rights and help you receive maximum compensation for your injuries.
Award-winning law firm Anthem Injury Lawyers is a team of experienced and dedicated personal injury lawyers. We are based in Henderson, Nevada, and serve clients throughout the Las Vegas area. When we say we offer personal injury law experience, we mean over 25 years of experience. This is the combination of knowledge and expertise you need to win significant compensation as a victim in a Las Vegas area accident. Our decades of experience, our expertise, plus our deep familiarity with all aspects of Nevada law, give you a powerful advantage. You will need that advantage to fight against those who may keep you from receiving what you deserve as a Las Vegas accident victim.
Your choice of an accident lawyer is one of the most consequential decisions you will ever make. It’s important to select a Las Vegas attorney that can put you in the best position to win your case. That’s why you need to speak with Anthem Injury Lawyers. Get the best accident attorneys in Las Vegas fighting for you. Our experts offer you the best opportunity to win top compensation. Contact Anthem Injury Lawyers today at (702) 857-6000 to make an appointment for a free consultation.