Even though most states require drivers to carry a minimum amount of liability car insurance, there are still some drivers on the road who don’t have liability insurance.
According to the Insurance Research Council, 13.0 percent of motorists, or about one in every eight drivers, is uninsured. This means that even if you are a safe driver, you are at risk for getting into a car accident with an uninsured driver.
What If the At-Fault Driver Does Not Have Insurance Coverage?
When you get into a car accident, one of the first things that you do is exchange insurance information with the other driver. What happens if the other driver doesn’t have insurance?
- Call the police. Calling the police is a good idea whether the other party has insurance or not. Getting the police to the scene of the accident is especially important when an uninsured motorist is involved because the police report will help establish your claim with your own insurance company.
- Exchange information. Even if the driver does not have an insurance policy, you should still obtain their personal information such as their name, address, phone number, driver’s license number, and license plate number. You should also try to obtain the contact information for any witnesses. Witness statements may be helpful to you during the insurance claims process.
- Gather information. Take pictures of any property damage, the accident scene, the other driver’s license plate and driver’s license. All of these things will be helpful as you file your insurance claim. Also write down any information that you can remember about the way that the accident happened.
- Seek medical attention. Get immediate attention for any injuries. Be sure to save copies of all of your medical bills so that they can be reimbursed later.
- File an insurance claim. Contact your auto insurance company and let them know that you’ve been hit by an uninsured driver. Give your claims representative any information that you have collected about the accident. Get information about your uninsured motorist coverage to find out how much your insurance company will pay towards your medical expenses and property damage.
For a free legal consultation, call (702) 857-6000
Experienced Las Vegas Personal Injury Lawyers
If you have been in an accident with an uninsured driver, you should speak with an experienced personal injury lawyer who can help you protect your rights.
If you are looking for a law firm with experienced car accident attorneys, contact Anthem Injury Lawyers today. Our phone number is (702) 857-6000. We offer Free Consultations.
Call or text (702) 857-6000 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form