Have You Reviewed the 2020 Crash Fatality Data?
This month, the U.S. Department of Transportation’s National Highway Traffic Safety Administration released preliminary estimates of crash fatalities in 2020. These fatalities involve motor vehicle occupants, motorcyclists, and people walking and biking. The preliminary numbers are troubling. While Americans were on the road less in 2020 due to the pandemic, motor vehicle traffic fatalities increased. Below we will go over the 2020 crash fatality data and the risky behaviors that contributed to the increased traffic fatalities. We will also provide tips on what risky behaviors to avoid.
We hope the below crash fatality data helps you avoid risky behaviors on the road. We also understand that even the most cautious driver can be injured in a car accident. If you are injured in a car accident, contact an experienced personal injury lawyer. A personal injury lawyer will help to protect your rights and ensure you receive maximum compensation.
Anthem Injury Lawyers has a dedicated team of lawyers and staff ready to help you win your Las Vegas car accident case. Insurance companies are not motivated to pay you significant compensation. You need an experienced Las Vegas car accident lawyer to fight for your rights. Our car accident lawyers offer decades of experience. We have the knowledge and expertise you need to receive the compensation you deserve for your car accident injuries. Ensure that you have Las Vegas car accident lawyers on your side who have actually won significant compensation for clients. You need experts fighting for you: contact Anthem Injury Lawyers today at (702) 857-6000 to schedule a free consultation.
For a free legal consultation, call (702) 857-6000
Preliminary 2020 Crash Fatality Data
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s preliminary findings show that 2020 traffic fatalities rose in most major categories over 2019. The findings also highlight significant changes in driving behaviors that contribute to the grim 2020 crash fatality data.
2020 Crash Fatality Category Increases
The below information is from Early Estimates of Motor Vehicle Traffic Fatalities and Fatality Rate by Sub-Categories in 2020. Crash fatalities in the following categories showed large increases in 2020 as compared to 2019:
- On rural local/collector roads (up 11 percent)
- On urban interstates (up 15 percent)
- On urban local/collector roads (up 12 percent)
- During nighttime (up 11 percent)
- During the weekend (up 9 percent)
- In older vehicles 10 years or older (up 6 percent)
- In rollover crashes (up 9 percent)
- In occupant ejection (up 20 percent)
- In single-vehicle crashes (up 9 percent)
- In speeding-related crashes (up 11 percent)
- In the 16 to 24 age group (up 15 percent)
- In the 25 to 34 age group (up 18 percent)
- In the 35 to 44 age group (up 14 percent)
- Males (up 9 percent)
- Unrestrained occupants of passenger vehicles (up 15 percent)
- Non-Hispanic Black people (up 23 percent)
- In police-reported alcohol involvement crashes (up 9 percent)
2020 Crash Fatality Category Decreases
These numbers paint a grim picture for drivers in 2020. However, not all categories are projected to rise in fatalities for 2020. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration:
- Fatalities in crashes involving a large truck (commercial or non-commercial use) are projected to decline marginally (down 2 percent).
- Fatalities among older persons (65 years of age and older) are projected to decline by about 9 percent.
If you or a loved one were injured in a 2020 crash due to the fault of someone else, contact Anthem Injury Lawyers. Anthem Injury Lawyers is a team of experienced Las Vegas car accident lawyers. We offer you decades of car accident case experience where we have won top compensation for our clients. This is the exact experience you need to win your Las Vegas car accident case. Contact Anthem Injury Lawyers today at (702) 857-6000 to make an appointment for a free consultation.
Once the COVID-19 pandemic struck, driving patterns and behaviors in the United States changed significantly. The following information is from Update to Special Reports on Traffic Safety During the COVID-19 Public Health Emergency: Fourth Quarter Data:
- Of the drivers who remained on the roads, some engaged in riskier behavior. This included speeding, failure to wear seat belts, and driving under the influence of alcohol or other drugs.
- Traffic data showed average speeds increased during the second and third quarters of 2020. Furthermore, extreme speeds became more common.
- Traffic data also suggested that fewer people in crashes used their seat belts.
- A study of seriously or fatally injured road users at five participating trauma centers found that almost two-thirds of drivers tested positive for at least one active drug. This included alcohol, marijuana, or opioids.
- The proportion of drivers testing positive for opioids nearly doubled after mid-March, compared to the previous 6 months.
- Marijuana prevalence increased by about 50 percent.
Safe Driving Reminder
Not all accidents can be prevented. However, many serious and fatal car accidents can be avoided by choosing safe driving behaviors. You can stay safe on the road by remembering to do the following:
- Drive the speed limit. Nevada law requires drivers to drive at a speed that is reasonable and proper.
- Always buckle up. Drivers should also ensure that children are properly restrained in the right car seat.
- Drive sober. Never drive impaired. Drivers can be impaired by alcohol, medication, and prohibited substances. This includes marijuana and opioids.
Have you been injured by a driver choosing to engage in unsafe driving behaviors? You should seek legal advice from an experienced personal injury lawyer. Now is not the time to go it alone as a victim in a Las Vegas car accident. The experienced team at Anthem Injury Lawyers can help you protect your rights and help you get the personal injury settlement that you deserve. We understand that you may be nervous upon meeting your Las Vegas personal injury lawyer for the first time. Our lawyers are friendly and knowledgeable and will put you at ease as you describe the details of your accident case. Contact Anthem Injury Lawyers today at (702) 857-6000 to make an appointment for a free consultation.
EXPERIENCED LAS VEGAS PERSONAL INJURY LAWYERS
2021 is a great time to focus on safety while driving. We hope the above review of 2020 crash fatality data helps you make safe driving decisions. The law firm of Anthem Injury Lawyers understands that a car accident can injure the most cautious individual. If another driver has injured you, it’s important that you seek experienced legal representation. Our car accident lawyers serve the Las Vegas area with the knowledge and expertise to help you gain maximum compensation for your injuries. Don’t delay. Get in touch with our Las Vegas car accident lawyers, so we can begin pursuing significant compensation for you. If you cannot visit our Las Vegas area office, we can come to you to discuss your car accident case.
The lawyers at Anthem Injury Lawyers have over 25 years of experience specializing in personal injury claims. This includes Las Vegas car accidents. This is the level of experience you need to win top compensation. Don’t wait. Now is the best time to schedule your appointment with us to discuss the details about your Las Vegas area car accident. There is no obligation. Have our car accident lawyers examine the facts and learn about your case. See why our Las Vegas lawyers give you the best opportunity to win significant compensation. Remember: your choice of a Las Vegas car accident lawyer can be one of the most consequential decisions you ever make. Choose wisely and call Anthem Injury Lawyers at (702) 857-6000 to make an appointment for a free consultation.
Call or text (702) 857-6000 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form