If you drive, you are used to seeing large trucks on the road. Especially during the holidays. If you were driving near Interstate 15 and Speedway Boulevard last week, you may have seen a crash involving a tractor trailer. If you are wondering what causes truck accidents, then this article is for you. Here, we talk about what causes truck accidents.
We hope the below discussion helps you and your loved ones understand more about truck accidents. If you are injured in an accident involving a large truck, get medical help immediately. Once you have sought medical care, contact an experienced personal injury lawyer. A personal injury lawyer will help to protect your rights and ensure you receive maximum compensation.
Contact Anthem Injury Lawyers at (702) 857-6000 to make an appointment for a free consultation.
What Causes Truck Accidents?
In 2020, 4,965 people were killed and an estimated 146,930 people were injured in crashes involving large trucks. Truck accidents, just like all other accidents, can have a number of causes. Below we discuss some of the causes of truck accidents.
For a free legal consultation, call (702) 857-6000
Truck drivers are not alone on the road. While single truck accidents do happen, many accidents tend to involve other vehicles. According to the Nevada Driver Handbook, over 200,000 crashes occur between cars and commercial vehicles each year.
Why does that matter? Consider the following crash characteristics from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration:
- In 2020 large trucks were more likely to be involved in fatal multi-vehicle crashes as opposed to fatal single-vehicle crashes than were passenger vehicles.
- Eighty percent of large trucks involved in fatal crashes were in multi-vehicle crashes compared with 61 percent for passenger vehicles.
If you are driving near a large truck, proceed with caution. Keep the following points in mind from the Nevada Driver Handbook:
- In commercial vehicle and small car accidents, the people in cars are much more likely to be killed or injured.
- Large commercial vehicles cannot maneuver like a car or other smaller vehicles.
- Most crashes between large commercial trucks and smaller cars are caused by the car drivers.
- Large commercial vehicles have much larger blind spots than smaller vehicles.
- Large commercial vehicles take more time and space to slow down or stop.
Distracted driving is another cause of truck accidents. Distracted driving is driving while doing anything other than focusing on the task of safe driving. Distracted driving increases the likelihood of an accident. Distractions can be visual, manual, and cognitive.
- A visual distraction is anything that takes the driver’s eyes away from the road.
- A manual distraction is anything that takes the driver’s hands from the wheel to perform a non-driving task. This includes talking on the phone and sending text messages.
- A cognitive distraction is anything that takes the driver’s mind off of the task of safe driving. This can include emotional conversations and daydreaming.
Click to contact our personal injury lawyers today
Speeding is one of the leading causes of fatal crashes. The National Roadway Safety Strategy has identified speed management as a primary tool to reduce serious injuries and fatalities. One speed management proposal under consideration is requiring speed limiters on new commercial trucks.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Driver fatigue is a serious issue when it comes to truck driving. However, during the COVID-19 pandemic, hours of service rules were eased. According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, “hours of service” refers to the following:
- The maximum amount of time drivers are permitted to be on duty including driving time, and specifies number and length of rest periods, to help ensure that drivers stay awake and alert.
It’s not clear yet whether easing the hours of service rules has impacted the number of truck accidents. However, it is clear that fatigued drivers are more likely to cause accidents.
If you have been injured in truck accident, seek medical help immediately. Once you have sought medical care, you should seek legal advice from an experienced personal injury lawyer. Anthem Injury Lawyers are experienced personal injury lawyers who are ready to help you. Don’t delay when contacting an attorney after an accident. Contact us today at (702) 857-6000 to make an appointment for a free consultation.
Bad weather can make it difficult to safely drive and maintain control of a vehicle, especially a large commercial vehicle. A variety of weather conditions can contribute to truck accidents, including the following:
- High wind
- Severe thunderstorms
- Freezing rain
Truck drivers can take steps to mitigate the risks associated with bad weather. In some instances, a truck driver may choose to wait for the weather to improve. They do this by safely pulling off the road and parking their vehicle. It is not uncommon during winter storms to see trucks parked off the road. This helps keep the roads safe for everyone.
EXPERIENCED LAS VEGAS PERSONAL INJURY LAWYERS
We hope the above discussion helps you understand what causes truck accidents. If you are injured in a truck accident, you should speak with an experienced personal injury lawyer.
Award-winning law firm Anthem Injury Lawyers is a team of experienced and dedicated personal injury lawyers. We are based in Henderson, Nevada, and serve clients throughout the Las Vegas area. When we say we offer personal injury law experience, we mean over 25 years of experience. This is the combination of knowledge and expertise you need to win significant compensation as a victim in a Las Vegas area accident.
Your choice of an accident lawyer is one of the most consequential decisions you will ever make. It’s important to select a Las Vegas attorney that can put you in the best position to win your case. That’s why you need to speak with Anthem Injury Lawyers. Get the best accident attorneys in Las Vegas fighting for you. Our experts offer you the best opportunity to win top compensation. Contact Anthem Injury Lawyers today at (702) 857-6000 to make an appointment for a free consultation.
Call or text (702) 857-6000 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form