Last week, police closed several roads in Las Vegas after thunderstorms dropped heavy rainfall in the area. Heavy rain and flooded roads bring lots of risks. One of those risks is hydroplaning. Here, we will discuss how to avoid hydroplaning.
We hope the below discussion helps you stay safe while navigating wet roads. If a driver injures you in a Las Vegas area accident, contact an experienced personal injury lawyer. A personal injury lawyer will help to protect your rights and ensure you receive maximum compensation.
As a Las Vegas accident victim, you don’t want to fight alone against insurance companies. They do not have your best interests in mind. Anthem Injury Lawyers has a dedicated team of lawyers and staff ready to help you with your personal injury case. Insurance companies and other parties are not interested in helping you receive what you should as a victim in a Las Vegas accident.
Time is of the essence when pursuing compensation in car accident cases. Don’t delay—have our Las Vegas accident lawyers review your case. Sometimes people avoid contacting an accident lawyer because they worry about cost. You don’t have to worry about affordability. Our attorneys don’t get paid unless they win your case. Contact Anthem Injury Lawyers at (702) 857-6000 to make an appointment for a free consultation.
What Is Hydroplaning?
Hydroplaning occurs when water on the road is deeper than the tire tread. This can cause your tires to lose contact with the road and can result in a loss of control of your vehicle. Hydroplaning reduces your ability to safely steer the vehicle and brake. Losing control of your vehicle is a scary and dangerous driving experience.
For a free legal consultation, call (702) 857-6000
What Causes Hydroplaning?
Hydroplaning can have many causes. The most common causes of hydroplaning are deep water, high speed, and lack of tire tread.
- Water – Hydroplaning occurs when your tires encounter water, even a very small amount of water. As the amount of water on the roadway increases, so does your chance of hydroplaning. This means if you find yourself on the road during a Las Vegas rainstorm, you should proceed with extreme caution.
- Speed – The greater your vehicle’s speed, the greater your chance of losing control of your vehicle on a wet road. This is because you reduce traction the faster you are traveling on a wet surface.
- Tires – We frequently talk about the important role that tires play in safe driving. However, tires can only do their job if they are properly maintained. If your tires are worn, they are going to have trouble maintaining contact with the road in wet conditions. Check your tires regularly, this includes checking your tire tread and tire pressure.
If a driver injures you on wet roads, contact an experienced personal injury lawyer. The experienced team at Anthem Injury Lawyers will work aggressively to protect your rights and help you receive maximum compensation. Maybe you are hesitant to contact a Las Vegas car accident lawyer because you are worried that a good lawyer is unaffordable. We work on a contingency basis, so you don’t have to worry about upfront fees. Our law office is in Henderson, Nevada, and we work with clients in Las Vegas and vicinity. Contact us today at (702) 857-6000 to make an appointment for a free consultation.
How to Avoid Hydroplaning
Now that you know the common causes of a hydroplaning accident, you may have an idea about how you can avoid hydroplaning. Keep in mind that not all hydroplaning accidents are avoidable. However, you can lessen your chances of hydroplaning with the following tips.
This is probably the most obvious tip but the best way to avoid hydroplaning is to avoid water. Specifically, water on the road. If you do have to go out when it is raining, you can lessen your chances of hydroplaning by taking routes that have the least amount of water. Whatever you do, do not drive through flooded streets. This can be catastrophic.
Watch Your Speed
As mentioned above, speed increases your chances of losing control of your vehicle on a wet road. In fact, speeding increases your chances of losing control no matter the road conditions. In Nevada, speed accounts for nearly one-third of all traffic fatalities. Speeding is dangerous and increases your chances of hydroplaning. When it is raining and the roads are wet, watch your speed.
Check Your Tire Tread
Tire tread gives your tires a grip on the road, especially in rainy weather. That is why it is so important to regularly check your tire tread. You can have your tire tread checked at a local mechanic or at a tire dealership. You can also check your tire tread at home. The U.S. Tire Manufacturers Association provides the following advice on tire tread:
- Once your tread wears down to 2/32nds of an inch, it’s time to visit your local tire shop.
- Take a few minutes each month to visually inspect your tires. Look for uneven wear, high and low areas, unusually smooth areas, and other signs of damage.
- Tires have built-in tread wear indicators or wear bars. When the tops of these bars are flush with the tire’s tread, the tire needs to be replaced.
- You can also do an easy tread test. Simply place a penny upside down into a tread groove. If part of Lincoln’s head is covered by the tread, you’re good to go. If you can see all of his head, it’s new tire time.
Click to contact our personal injury lawyers today
How to Handle Hydroplaning
Unfortunately, even the most cautious driver can hydroplane. If you do hydroplane, try to remain calm and use the following tips to help you avoid an accident:
- Do not slam on your brakes.
- Gradually take your foot off the gas pedal.
- Maintain a steady grip on the steering wheel.
- Steer the car in the direction that you want the vehicle to go.
- Do not turn or jerk the wheel.
- Regain control of your vehicle and safely return to the road if possible.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
EXPERIENCED LAS VEGAS PERSONAL INJURY LAWYERS
We hope you stay safe while navigating Las Vegas roads. If a driver injures you in a Las Vegas area accident, you should speak with an experienced personal injury lawyer. Some people wonder why they need a personal injury lawyer to help them. A personal injury lawyer will work aggressively to protect your rights and help you receive maximum compensation for your injuries.
Your choice of an accident lawyer is one of the most consequential decisions you will ever make. It’s important to select a Las Vegas attorney that can put you in the best position to win your case. That’s why you need to speak with Anthem Injury Lawyers. Our experts offer you the best opportunity to win top compensation. Contact Anthem Injury Lawyers today at (702) 857-6000 to make an appointment for a free consultation.
Call or text (702) 857-6000 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form