Can You Handle the Challenges of Driving at Night?
The time and season change means a lot more time in the dark. Driving at night brings challenges and dangers including drowsiness, impairment, wrong-way drivers, and animals. Below we will discuss these dangers.
We hope this article helps you stay safe on the road at night. However, even the safest driver can be injured in a car accident. If you are the victim in a car accident, seek legal help from an experienced personal injury lawyer. The law firm of Anthem Injury Lawyers has a dedicated team of lawyers and staff ready to help you with your personal injury case. Remember: it’s best to have an experienced Las Vegas car accident lawyer protect your rights. Negotiating on your own with insurance companies can be fraught with challenges; they are not motivated to help you. Contact us at (702) 857-6000 to schedule an appointment for a free consultation.
For a free legal consultation, call (702) 857-6000
What is drowsy driving? Drowsy driving occurs when a driver operates a motor vehicle while fatigued or sleepy. Drowsy driving is serious and can even be deadly. From 2013 to 2017, there were 4,111 fatalities in motor vehicle crashes involving drowsy driving. Drowsy driving is most likely to occur at night, when we are the most tired.
Tips to Avoid Drowsy Driving
Drowsy driving accidents are preventable. If you are a driver, there are simple steps you can take to avoid drowsy driving. Use the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety‘s following tips to avoid driving drowsy:
- Don’t drive when you are sleepy. If you become sleepy while driving, pull over and take a break.
- Get enough sleep every night.
- Do not plan to work all day and then drive all night. Travel during times when you are normally awake.
- Travel with an alert and awake passenger.
- Take a power nap. If you start to feel tired, pull off the road to park in a safe place. When you wake up, get some exercise and have some caffeine.
- Schedule a break every two hours or every 100 miles. Stop sooner if you become sleepy. Before your trip, figure out safe places to stop.
Not everyone makes the safe decision to pull off the road when they are tired. If a drowsy driver injures you in a car accident, contact an experienced personal injury lawyer. Anthem Injury Lawyers is a team of experienced, dedicated personal injury lawyers and case managers. We will work aggressively to defend your rights and get you just compensation. Time is of the essence – get in touch with our Las Vegas car accident lawyers immediately so we have maximum time to pursue the compensation you deserve. Contact us today at (702) 857-6000 to make an appointment for a free consultation.
In Nevada, “under the influence” means:
- Impaired to a degree that renders a person incapable of safely driving or exercising actual physical control of a vehicle.
Impaired driving is extremely dangerous. A driver can be impaired by alcohol, drugs, and medication. Alcohol and drug use increases at nighttime and on the weekends.
In Nevada, Clark County is the most dangerous county for impaired driving. The Nevada Strategic Highway Safety Plan (SHSP) reported that between 2013 and 2017:
- 71 percent of impaired driving serious injury and fatal crashes occurred in Clark County.
- 42 percent of serious injuries and 41 percent of impaired driving fatalities occurred on the weekend.
Drivers should stay alert for impaired drivers. Especially, at night and on weekends. If you suspect an impaired driver, contact the authorities immediately. You can also play a role in preventing impaired driving by following the steps below.
Steps to Prevent Impaired Driving
Impaired driving is dangerous driving. There are several steps people can take to prevent impaired driving, including the following:
- Offering to be a designated driver.
- Appointing a designated driver to take all car keys.
- Getting a ride to and from parties where there are alcohol and/or drugs.
- Discussing the risks of drugged driving with friends in advance.
If you are the victim of an impaired driver, contact an experienced Las Vegas lawyer. Anthem Injury Lawyers have experienced impaired driving accident lawyers who are ready to help you. Contact us today at (702) 857-6000 to make an appointment for a free consultation.
Click to contact our personal injury lawyers today
Accidents involving a driver who is going the wrong way are extremely dangerous and can be fatal. Nationwide there is an average of 360 deaths per year, according to the National Transportation Safety Board’s Wrong-Way Driving – Highway Special Investigation. The largest number of wrong-way crashes occur at night. If you drive at night, you should stay alert for wrong-way drivers. If you encounter a wrong-way driver proceed with caution and use the following safety tips.
Wrong-Way Driver Safety Tips
If you encounter a wrong-way driver coming toward you do the following:
- Ease your foot off the gas to slow down.
- After looking to avoid other vehicles next to and behind you, steer away from the wrong-way driver.
- Dial 911 or *NHP to report the driver. Only do this when you are safely off the road and away from the path of the wrong way vehicle.
- Alert the driver. Only alert the driver if there is a safe opportunity. This can enable a driver to stop and safely reroute. You can alert the driver by flashing your vehicle lights or honking your car horn.
We hope these safety tips help you stay safe around wrong-way drivers. If a wrong-way driver injures you in a Las Vegas area car accident, contact an experienced lawyer immediately. At Anthem Injury Lawyers, we have a team of experienced personal injury lawyers and staff ready to meet with you. Our office is in Henderson and we handle personal injury cases in Las Vegas and vicinity. Don’t worry if you cannot visit our Las Vegas area law offices; we can come to you to discuss your car accident case. Contact us today at (702) 857-6000 for a free consultation.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Animals in the Road
Did you know that drivers are most likely to encounter animals on the road between dusk and dawn? State Farm completed its annual study regarding the odds of collision between animals and drivers. Its data shows drivers in the United States, on average, have a one in 116 chance of a collision with an animal. Animal collisions happen most during October through December. A driver can lessen the chances of a collision with an animal by driving defensively.
Tips for an Animal Crash
Not all crashes between animals and drivers can be avoided. In some instances, a driver has no choice but to hit an animal. If it appears impossible to avoid the animal use the following tips from the Wildlife Collision Prevention Program:
- Aim for the spot the animal is coming from, not where it is going.
- Look where you want to go, not at the animal. You tend to drive where you look. If you are looking at the animal, that is where the vehicle tends to go.
- If you must hit something, try for a glancing blow rather than a head-on hit.
- Brake firmly and quickly. Then look and steer your vehicle to strike the animal at an angle.
- Let up on the brake just before you hit the animal. This causes the front end of your vehicle to rise and reduces the chances of the animal coming through your windshield.
We hope these tips help you stay safe on the roads at night. If you or a family member are the victim of a motor vehicle accident, contact an experienced personal injury lawyer. The team at Anthem Injury Lawyers is here to help you if you’ve been involved in an accident in the Las Vegas area. Contact us today at (702) 857-6000 to make an appointment for a free consultation.
EXPERIENCED LAS VEGAS PERSONAL INJURY LAWYERS
We hope these tips help you stay safe on the roads at night. If a car accident injures you or a loved one, you should speak with an experienced personal injury lawyer. A personal injury lawyer will work aggressively to protect your rights and help you receive maximum compensation.
You need a highly skilled legal team to represent your interests in your Las Vegas car accident case. Award-winning personal injury law firm Anthem Injury Lawyers is a team of experienced, dedicated personal injury lawyers. We are based in Henderson, Nevada and serve clients throughout the Las Vegas area. With over 25 years of experience, Anthem Injury Lawyers specializes in personal injury claims. Don’t wait. Right now is the best time to get our Las Vegas car accident lawyers working for you. Contact us today at (702) 857-6000 to make an appointment for a free consultation.
Call or text (702) 857-6000 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form