Do You Know the Top 10 Causes of Car Accidents?
In 2020, the percent of traffic-related fatalities actually increased from 2019. This is shocking considering that the COVID-19 pandemic dramatically reduced the number of drivers on the road. If you are a driver, you may be wondering about the top causes of car accidents. Below we will discuss the top 10 causes of car accidents and how to avoid them.
We hope the below tips help you stay safe on the roads. If you are injured in a car accident that is not your fault, contact an experienced personal injury lawyer. A personal injury lawyer will help to protect your rights and ensure you receive maximum compensation. Anthem Injury Lawyers has a dedicated team of lawyers and staff ready to help you with your personal injury case. Insurance companies are not motivated to pay you significant compensation. You need an experienced Las Vegas personal injury lawyer to fight for your rights. Get in the best position to win your case: call Anthem Injury Lawyers. We offer decades of experience that you can use to your advantage. Contact us at (702) 857-6000 to make an appointment for a free consultation.
1. Alcohol Impairment
Impaired driving is the number one cause of motor vehicle crashes, injuries, and fatalities. In Nevada, it is unlawful to drive with a concentration of alcohol of .08 or more in your blood or breath. The limit is .04 in commercial driving.
What Are the Signs a Driver is Impaired?
Even if you drive sober, other drivers on the road may be drunk. If you suspect an impaired driver, do not engage. Try to make a note of the vehicle’s license plate number and driving direction. Then contact authorities.
Be on the lookout for the following signs (provided by MADD) that a driver may be impaired:
- Quick acceleration or deceleration
- Weaving or zig-zagging across the road
- Driving anywhere other than on a road designated for vehicles
- Almost striking an object, curb, or vehicle
- Stopping without cause or erratic braking
- Drifting in and out of traffic lanes
- Signaling that is inconsistent with driving actions
- Slow response to traffic signals
- Straddling the center lane marker
- Driving with headlights off at night
- Driving slower than 10 miles per hour below the speed limit
- Turning abruptly or illegally
- Driving into opposing traffic on the wrong side of the road
2. Drug Impairment
In Nevada, it is unlawful to drive under the influence of prohibited substances. Medications can even cause a driver to be impaired. Drugs contribute to impaired driving crashes. Always drive sober. You can take the following steps to prevent impaired driving:
- Appoint a designated driver to take all car keys.
- Always get a ride to and from parties where there is alcohol and/or drugs.
- Consult with your doctor about the side effects of any medication before driving.
Speeding is dangerous and illegal. It is one of the top causes of car accidents. According to the Nevada Departments of Public Safety and Transportation, speeding accounts for one-third of all traffic deaths in Nevada.
What Is Nevada’s Speed Law?
Avoid speeding by following the law. Under Nevada Revised Statute 484B.600, it is illegal to drive a vehicle at:
- A rate of speed greater than is reasonable or proper, having due regard for the traffic, surface and width of the highway, the weather and other highway conditions.
- Such a rate of speed as to endanger the life, limb or property of any person.
- A rate of speed greater than that posted by a public authority for the particular portion of highway being traversed.
- A rate of speed that results in the injury of another person or of any property.
- In any event, a rate of speed greater than 80 miles per hour.
Speeding causes accidents. If a speeding driver injures you or a loved one, consult with an experienced car accident lawyer. Anthem Injury Lawyers serves clients in the Las Vegas area. Our firm offers you an experienced team of car accident lawyers. We handle complex issues including spinal cord injuries, traumatic brain injuries, and wrongful death. Contact us today at (702) 857-6000 to make an appointment for a free consultation.
4. Distracted Driving
Distracted driving greatly increases your chances of a crash. It is anything that takes your attention away from the task of safe driving. Using your cell phone while driving is an example of distracted driving. It is dangerous and can lead to a car accident. In Nevada, it is a crime to physically handle a cell phone or other electronic device while driving. This includes talking, texting, going online, programming a handheld GPS, or playing music.
How Can You Avoid Distracted Driving?
Always focus on the road while driving. Avoid the dangers of distracted driving by doing the following:
- Drive with both hands on the wheel.
- Put down your cell phone. Do not talk or text while driving.
- Keep your hands on the wheel.
- Drive only when alert.
- Only drive when in emotional control.
We hope the above tips help keep you safe. If a distracted driver injures you, contact an experienced personal injury lawyer. The law firm of Anthem Injury Lawyers has a dedicated team of lawyers and staff ready to help you with your personal injury case. If you’re severely injured from your Las Vegas car accident, or are otherwise unable to visit our office, we can come to you to discuss your case. Contact us today at (702) 857-6000 to make an appointment for a free consultation.
5. Drowsy Driving
Drowsy drivers are a common cause of car accidents. In 2017, 91,000 motor vehicle crashes involved drowsy driving. Drowsy driving is operating a motor vehicle while fatigued or sleepy. Driving while sleepy is dangerous for everyone on the road. Sleepy drivers:
- Have difficulty concentrating on the road.
- React slower to road hazards.
- Have trouble with decision-making.
How Can You Avoid Drowsy Driving?
Are you one of the estimated one in 25 adult drivers who reported having fallen asleep while driving in the previous 30 days? If you are, you may be wondering how you can avoid drowsy driving. Use the following tips to avoid driving drowsy:
- Don’t drive when you are sleepy.
- Get enough sleep every night.
- Make sure you are well-rested the night before a long trip.
- Do not plan to work all day and then drive all night.
- Travel with an alert passenger.
- Take a power nap if you start to feel tired.
- Schedule a break every two hours or every 100 miles. Stop sooner if you become sleepy.
We hope these tips help you avoid drowsy driving. If a drowsy driver injures you, you should consult with a personal injury lawyer. Anthem Injury Lawyers is a team of, dedicated personal injury lawyers and case managers, offering you decades of experience winning cases resulting in significant compensation for our clients.. Based in Henderson, Nevada, we work with clients all over the Las Vegas area. Contact us today at (702) 857-6000 to make an appointment for a free consultation.
6. Failure to Obey
In Nevada, drivers must obey traffic control devices and signs. Failure to obey traffic control devices and signs is a leading cause of intersection crashes. Clark County is the most dangerous county for intersection crashes in the state. In Nevada, the main reason for all the unsafe driving at intersections is simple: people are in a hurry. You can avoid a failure to obey accident by doing the following:
- Slow down
- Stop on red
- Signal every turn and lane change
- Make a complete stop at traffic signals and stop signs
- Yield to other drivers, bicyclists, and pedestrians
Poor weather conditions can increase the likelihood of an accident. While you can’t control the weather, you can control your decision to drive in poor weather conditions. The best way to avoid a weather related accident is to stay off the roads when the weather is bad. This includes rain, snow, fog, smoke, high winds, and even sunlight. If you live in Las Vegas, you are aware of the dangers of sun glare while driving. Try to avoid driving at sunrise and sunset. See our article for additional tips to avoid sun glare while driving.
8. Wrong Way Driving
A wrong way driving crash occurs when a vehicle traveling in a direction opposing the legal flow of traffic collides with a vehicle traveling on the same roadway in the proper direction. Wrong way driving crashes tend to be more severe than other types of crashes.
If you encounter a wrong way driver, you should remain calm, slow down, and safely steer away from the wrong way driver. If possible, call 911 to report the driver.
How Can You Avoid Wrong Way Driving?
A wrong way driving accident can have many causes, including confusion and fatigue. You can do the following to avoid wrong way driving accidents and increase your chances of staying safe on the roads:
- Drive sober
- Focus on the road
- Stay alert at night
9. Aggressive Driving and Road Rage
The past year has been stressful for many Nevadans. Stress can result in unsafe driving practices, leading to car accidents. Unsafe driving practices can include aggressive driving and road rage.
Aggressive driving is:
- Any unsafe driving behavior, performed deliberately and with ill intention or disregard for safety.
Aggressive driving can go hand-in-hand with road rage. Road rage can include the following:
- Cursing and rude or obscene gestures
- Throwing objects
- Forcing a driver off the road
Aggressive driving and road rage are unsafe driving practices. These unsafe driving behaviors cause car accidents. Avoid unsafe driving by remaining calm and pulling off to a safe spot if you feel stressed.
How to Handle an Aggressive Driver
If you encounter an aggressive driver, do the following:
- Remain calm.
- Never take aggressive driving personally.
- Do not engage.
- Try to keep a safe distance.
- Contact 911 when safe to do so.
If an aggressive driver injures you, contact an experienced Las Vegas personal injury lawyer. The law firm of Anthem Injury Lawyers has a dedicated team of lawyers and staff ready to help you with your personal injury case. Contact us today at (702) 857-6000 to make an appointment for a free consultation.
10. Night Driving
Night driving combines some of the above challenges and dangers, increasing the likelihood of a car accident. At night, drivers are more likely to go the wrong way, drive impaired, and be drowsy. Use the above tips to avoid the common dangers of night driving.
Night driving can also make it difficult to navigate unfamiliar roads and increases the likelihood of a collision with an animal. Plan your route ahead of time if you know you will be driving at night. Also, a driver can lessen the chances of a collision with an animal by driving defensively. This includes actively watching for wildlife warning signs.
EXPERIENCED LAS VEGAS PERSONAL INJURY LAWYERS
We hope these tips help you stay safe on the roads. The law firm of Anthem Injury Lawyers understands that even the most cautious driver can be injured in a car accident. If another driver has injured you, it’s important that you seek experienced legal representation. Our car accident lawyers serve the Las Vegas area with the knowledge and expertise to help you gain maximum compensation for your injuries.
With over 25 years of experience, Anthem Injury Lawyers specializes in personal injury claims. If you cannot visit our Las Vegas area office, we can come to you to discuss your car accident case. Now is the best time to schedule your appointment with us to discuss the details about your Las Vegas area car accident. Call our personal injury lawyers now at (702) 857-6000 to make an appointment for a free consultation.