Last week the sky over Las Vegas darkened as high winds and a dust storm hit the valley. Drivers were urged to get off the roads and countless structures suffered damage. Do you know what to do if you are caught on the road in a dust storm? Read on as we discuss how to drive in a dust storm.
Dust storms can be dangerous for everyone. If another driver injures you during a dust storm, contact a personal injury lawyer. A personal injury lawyer will help to protect your rights and ensure you receive maximum compensation.
As a Las Vegas car accident victim, you don’t want to fight alone against insurance companies. They do not have your best interests in mind. Anthem Injury Lawyers has a dedicated team of lawyers and staff ready to help you with your personal injury case. Insurance companies and other parties are not interested in helping you receive what you should as a victim in a Las Vegas accident. Your Las Vegas car accident lawyer should have a proven track record of winning cases like yours for significant compensation. Our lawyers offer you 25 years of experience winning top compensation for Las Vegas accident victims.
Time is of the essence when pursuing compensation in accident cases. Don’t delay—have our Las Vegas car accident lawyers review your case. Sometimes people avoid contacting an accident lawyer because they worry about cost. You don’t have to worry about affordability. Our attorneys don’t get paid unless they win your case. Contact Anthem Injury Lawyers at (702) 857-6000 to make an appointment for a free consultation.
How To Drive in a Dust Storm
Driving in a dust storm can be just as dangerous as driving in any other type of inclement weather. Our top tip for driving in a dust storm is the same tip we provide for driving in the snow or rain. Can you guess what it is? Our top tip for driving in a dust storm is simple…don’t. When there are dust storm warnings, you are urged to stay home and off the roads.
Unfortunately, not all of us can make that choice. Additionally, not all dust storms are predictable. Many drivers get stuck in a dust storm by surprise, not choice. If you do find yourself in a dust storm, we hope the following tips help you stay safe.
Even the most cautious driver can be injured in an accident. If another driver injures you, contact the team at Anthem Injury Lawyers. Our law office is in Henderson, Nevada and we work with clients in Las Vegas and vicinity. Contact us today at (702) 857-6000 to make an appointment for a free consultation.
Before the Storm
If you are on the road and you know that a dust storm is approaching you, you can take precautions to protect yourself including the following:
- Make sure you are wearing your seat belt. Wearing a seat belt is one of the most important decisions you can make as a driver.
- Turn on your lights. Visibility will decrease in the dust storm and your lights are important to seeing and being seen by other drivers.
- Stay alert. Dust storms can result in sudden periods of limited or zero visibility due to blowing dust.
- Remain calm. Dust storms are stressful. Take a deep breath and remind yourself to drive in a calm and safe manner.
- Try to safely exit the roadway. If possible, you should exit the roadway and find a safe place to park until the storm passes. Keep in mind that the strong winds that accompany dust storms can cause downed power lines and other hazards. Stay cognizant of those hazards when choosing a place to park.
During the Storm
Nevada is not the only state that experiences dust storms. Arizona is also known for dust storms. As such, the Arizona Department of Transportation (ADOT) has created a “Pull Aside, Stay Alive” safe driving campaign. The campaign is for drivers who encounter a dust storm and don’t have time to exit the highway. The following are ADOT’s dust storm safety driving tips:
- Immediately check traffic around your vehicle (front, back and to the side) and begin slowing down.
- Do not wait until poor visibility makes it difficult to safely pull off the roadway—do it as soon as possible. Completely exit the highway if you can.
- Do not stop in a travel lane or in the emergency lane. Look for a safe place to pull completely off the paved portion of the roadway.
- Turn off all vehicle lights, including your emergency flashers. You do not want other vehicles approaching from behind to use your lights as a guide, possibly crashing into your parked vehicle.
- Set your emergency brake and take your foot off the brake.
- Stay in the vehicle with your seat belts buckled and wait for the storm to pass.
- Drivers of high-profile vehicles should be especially aware of changing weather conditions and travel at reduced speeds
After the Storm
You still need to proceed with caution after a dust storm passes. During a dust storm, high winds can result in dangerous road conditions. When you decide to return to the roadway, you should look out for hazards including:
- Downed power lines
- Car accidents
- Fallen trees
- Trash cans, grocery carts, and other displaced item
You should also prepare for travel delays. Storms can cause power to go out, including traffic lights. This may disrupt traffic patterns. If you approach a traffic light that is not working, treat it as a stop sign. Come to a complete stop and look both ways before proceeding. If there are other drivers at the intersection, you must yield the right-of-way.
EXPERIENCED LAS VEGAS PERSONAL INJURY LAWYERS
We hope the above discussion helps you understand how to drive in a dust storm. We also understand that even the most cautious driver can be injured in a car accident. If a driver injured you during last week’s dust storm, you should speak with an experienced personal injury lawyer. Some people wonder why they need a personal injury lawyer to help them. A personal injury lawyer will work aggressively to protect your rights and help you receive maximum compensation for your injuries.
Award-winning law firm Anthem Injury Lawyers is a team of experienced and dedicated personal injury lawyers. We are based in Henderson, Nevada, and serve clients throughout the Las Vegas area. When we say we offer personal injury law experience, we mean over 25 years of experience. This is the combination of knowledge and expertise you need to win significant compensation as a victim in a Las Vegas area accident. Our decades of experience, our expertise, plus our deep familiarity with all aspects of Nevada law, give you a powerful advantage.
Your choice of an accident lawyer is one of the most consequential decisions you will ever make. It’s important to select a Las Vegas attorney that can put you in the best position to win your case. That’s why you need to speak with Anthem Injury Lawyers. Get the best accident attorneys in Las Vegas fighting for you. Our experts offer you the best opportunity to win top compensation. Contact Anthem Injury Lawyers today at (702) 857-6000 to make an appointment for a free consultation.