Apparently Santa doesn’t just see you when you are sleeping and awake. He also sees you when you fail to yield to pedestrians in the roadway. Last week, Santa Claus joined forces with the North Las Vegas Police Department to help keep local roadways safe. The police officers were focused on drivers failing to yield to pedestrians in the roadway and educating pedestrians to use the crosswalks. We want everyone to be safe this winter. Below we will discuss pedestrian safety for both drivers and pedestrians.
If a driver injures you in a pedestrian accident contact an experienced personal injury lawyer. A personal injury lawyer will help to protect your rights and ensure you receive maximum compensation.
As a Las Vegas accident victim, you don’t want to fight alone against insurance companies. They do not have your best interests in mind. Anthem Injury Lawyers has a dedicated team of lawyers and staff ready to help you with your personal injury case. Insurance companies and other parties are not interested in helping you receive what you should as a victim in a Las Vegas accident. Your Las Vegas accident lawyer should have a proven track record of winning cases like yours for significant compensation. Our lawyers offer you 25 years of experience winning top compensation for Las Vegas pedestrian accident victims.
Time is of the essence when pursuing compensation in pedestrian accident cases. Don’t delay—have our Las Vegas accident lawyers review your case. Sometimes people avoid contacting an accident lawyer because they worry about cost. You don’t have to worry about affordability. Our attorneys don’t get paid unless they win your case. Contact Anthem Injury Lawyers at (702) 745-8040 to make an appointment for a free consultation.
Nevada Pedestrian Laws for Drivers
The best way to be pedestrian smart is to follow Nevada pedestrian laws for drivers. These laws are designed to keep everyone safe. If you are a Nevada driver, review our article Do You Know Nevada Pedestrian Laws for Drivers? You can also review portions of the laws below.
Nevada Revised Statute 484B.280
NRS 484B.280 provides the duties of a driver to a pedestrian. It requires drivers to exercise care to avoid pedestrian accidents.
Nevada Revised Statute 484B.283
NRS 484B.283(1)(c) requires a driver to stop or slow down before passing a vehicle that is stopped in the travel lane. This allows the driver to determine if a pedestrian is crossing.
Nevada Revised Statute 484B.290
NRS 484B.290(1) requires drivers to give the right-of-way to a person who is blind.
Nevada Revised Statute 484B.350
NRS 484B.350(1) requires drivers to stop in obedience to the direction or traffic-control signal of a school crossing guard. For additional tips on driving near schools, see our article Back to School Safety Tips for Drivers.
Pedestrian Safety Tips for Drivers
Pedestrian safety is everyone’s responsibility. Drivers can help avoid pedestrian accidents by following the above driving laws and by doing the following:
- Drive sober. Never drive under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- Pay attention. Avoid distracted driving. Never use your cell phone while driving.
- Stay alert. Look out for pedestrians at all times, not just at crosswalks.
- Be extra cautious when visibility is low. Pedestrians can be more difficult to see in bad weather and at nighttime.
- Slow down. Speeding makes it more difficult to both see and stop for pedestrians.
- Obey all signs and signals. Pay special attention to pedestrian warning signs.
- Always stop on red. Never run red lights.
- Respect crosswalks. Slow down and be prepared to stop when approaching a crosswalk. Always yield to pedestrians in crosswalks. Never pass a vehicle stopped at a crosswalk.
- Proceed with caution when children are present. School zones and neighborhoods have slower speed limits because children are present. Be especially cautious before school starts and when school ends. Remember, during the winter holidays more children may be out and about when schools are closed.
- Always look twice before backing up. Pedestrians may walk behind your vehicle.
Contact Anthem Injury Lawyers if you are involved in a pedestrian traffic accident. We can protect your legal rights and help you get just compensation. Call us today at (702) 857-6000 to schedule your free consultation.
Nevada Pedestrian Laws for Pedestrians
Drivers are not the only people that must follow the law. In Nevada, pedestrians must also follow pedestrian laws. If you are a Nevada pedestrian, review our article Do You Know Nevada Pedestrian Laws for Pedestrians? You can also review portions of the laws below.
Nevada Revised Statute 484B.283
Pedestrians should always follow pedestrian signals. Pedestrian signals are designed to keep pedestrians and drivers safe. NRS 484B.283 describes what all of the pedestrian signals mean.
Nevada Revised Statute 484B.287
NRS 484B.287 details how pedestrians can cross highways and where they are required to use crosswalks.
Nevada Revised Statute 484B.290
Per NRS 484B.290, a person who is blind has the right-of-way.
Nevada Revised Statute 484B.293
Under NRS 484B.293, pedestrians shall move whenever practicable upon the right half of crosswalks.
Nevada Revised Statute 484B.297
NRS 484B.297 lists when pedestrians must use sidewalks and where they can walk when no sidewalk is provided. It also states that “it is unlawful for any pedestrian who is under the influence of intoxicating liquors or any narcotic or stupefying drug to be within the traveled portion of any highway.”
Pedestrian Safety Tips for Pedestrians
Being a pedestrian doesn’t have to be dangerous. Pedestrians can help avoid accidents by following the above pedestrian laws and by doing the following:
- Walk sober. Avoid using alcohol and drugs when you are a pedestrian, they can impair your judgment and coordination.
- Be extra cautious near driveways and parking lots. Vehicles may not see you while they are backing up.
- Use sidewalks whenever they are available. If no sidewalk is available, pedestrians must walk on the left side of the street facing traffic.
- Pay attention. Keep your eyes and ears on the road. Never assume that a driver sees you
- Cross with care. Cross streets at crosswalks or intersections. Always look for cars, in all directions. If a crosswalk is not available, find an area where you are highly visible to cross. Many accidents occur when pedestrians cross between intersections.
- Stay visible. Increase your visibility by wearing bright clothing. You can also increase your visibility at night by wearing reflective clothing and using a flashlight.
- Talk to your children about pedestrian safety. Children are vulnerable pedestrians. They are more difficult to see and more likely to dart in front of vehicles. Practice being a safe pedestrian with your children.
Even the most cautious pedestrian can be injured in an accident. If a driver injures you, contact an experienced personal injury lawyer. The law firm of Anthem Injury Lawyers has a dedicated team of Las Vegas lawyers and staff ready to help you. Contact Anthem Injury Lawyers today at (702) 857-6000 to schedule a free consultation.
EXPERIENCED LAS VEGAS PERSONAL INJURY LAWYERS
We hope the above discussion helps you understand the importance of pedestrian safety. If a driver injures you in a Las Vegas area accident, you should speak with an experienced personal injury lawyer. Some people wonder why they need a personal injury lawyer to help them. A personal injury lawyer will work aggressively to protect your rights and help you receive maximum compensation for your injuries.
Award-winning law firm Anthem Injury Lawyers is a team of experienced and dedicated personal injury lawyers. We are based in Henderson, Nevada, and serve clients throughout the Las Vegas area. When we say we offer personal injury law experience, we mean over 25 years of experience. This is the combination of knowledge and expertise you need to win significant compensation as a victim in a Las Vegas area accident. Our decades of experience, our expertise, plus our deep familiarity with all aspects of Nevada law, give you a powerful advantage. You will need that advantage to fight against those who may keep you from receiving what you deserve as a Las Vegas accident victim.
Your choice of an accident lawyer is one of the most consequential decisions you will ever make. It’s important to select a Las Vegas attorney that can put you in the best position to win your case. That’s why you need to speak with Anthem Injury Lawyers. Get the best accident attorneys in Las Vegas fighting for you. Our experts offer you the best opportunity to win top compensation. Contact Anthem Injury Lawyers today at (702) 745-8040 to make an appointment for a free consultation.