Did You Know It’s National Dog Bite Prevention Week?
There are nearly 77 million dogs living in U.S. households. This number surged during the COVID-19 pandemic. Unfortunately, millions of people are bitten by dogs every year. In recognition of the danger of dog bites, the National Dog Bite Prevention Week® Coalition promotes National Dog Bite Prevention Week. National Dog Bite Prevention Week is an opportunity to focus on dog bite awareness, safety, and education. This year, National Dog Bite Prevention Week is April 11 through April 17. Below, we will discuss dog bite laws, provide numbers about dog bites, and include tips for dog bite prevention.
We hope these tips help you stay safe around dogs. If you or a loved one has been bitten by a dog in the Las Vegas area, speak with an experienced personal injury lawyer. The law firm Anthem Injury Lawyers has a dedicated team of lawyers and staff ready to help you with your personal injury case. You don’t have to worry about paying for a lawyer upfront. We work on a contingency basis. That means that our Las Vegas personal injury lawyers only get paid when you win. Don’t delay. Our experienced personal injury lawyers offer the knowledge and expertise you need to win the compensation you deserve.
You don’t have to face insurance companies and other parties who don’t have your best interests in mind. You need a top Las Vegas personal injury law firm to represent you – Anthem Injury Lawyers. We don’t recommend that you pursue the resolution of your personal injury case on your own. Benefit from our experience and have the best opportunity to gain significant compensation when our lawyers represent you. Contact us today at (702) 857-6000 to make an appointment for a free consultation.
State Dog Bite Laws
Dog bite laws vary by state. However, most dog bite laws can be divided into one of the following two categories:
- Strict liability
In a one-bite state, the owner’s liability depends on whether the owner knew or should have known that the dog might bite. Traditionally a dog got one free bite before liability attached.
Under strict liability, the dog does not get one free bite. It holds the owner liable for the bite regardless of what the owner knew or should have known. A majority of states have strict liability laws for dog bites.
For more information, see our article State Laws for Dog Bites.
The legal issues involved in a dog bite incident can be complex. If a dog injures you in the Las Vegas area, contact Anthem Injury Lawyers. We are an experienced team of dog bite lawyers licensed in Nevada. Don’t wait – it is important that you seek experienced legal representation to ensure your rights are protected. If you are severely injured and cannot come to our Las Vegas area office, we can come to you. Remember: there’s no reason to delay due to cost concerns. Our personal injury lawyers don’t get paid unless you win. Contact us today at (702) 857-6000 to make an appointment for a free consultation.
Dog Bites by the Numbers
The American Veterinary Medical Association provides the following numbers regarding dog bites:
- 38 percent of homes have at least one dog.
- 4.5 million people are bitten by dogs each year.
- A majority of dog bite victims are children.
- From 2000 to 2015, 56.7 percent of dog bite-related fatality victims were under 16 years old.
Dog Bites Cost Money
- In 2019, insurers paid out $797 million in liability claims related to dog bites and other dog-related injuries. In 2020, these claims cost homeowners insurers $854 million.
- In 2020, the average cost per claim increased by 12.3 percent to $50,425 from $44,760 in 2019.
- From 2003 to 2020, the average cost per claim nationally has risen 162 percent. This increase has several causes including increased medical costs and larger amounts being paid to plaintiffs.
Top 10 States Reporting Dog Bites in 2020
- New York
- New Jersey
It is important to remember that any dog can bite. Regardless of where you live. The best way to keep everyone safe is to educate yourself and your family about dog bite prevention. Below we will provide dog bite prevention tips.
We understand that even the most cautious person can be bitten by a dog. If you or a loved one are injured by a dog in the Las Vegas area, contact Anthem Injury Lawyers. We offer the level of knowledge and expertise you need to give you the best opportunity to gain the compensation you deserve. Remember that insurance companies are not on your side. You need experienced Las Vegas personal injury lawyers who have successfully won compensation for dog bite victims. Anthem Injury Lawyers knows how to get you the personal injury compensation you are entitled to. Contact us today at (702) 857-6000 to make an appointment for a free consultation.
Dog Bite Prevention Tips
Any dog can bite. And the dog can bite for a variety of reasons. The good news is, you can take steps to prevent dog bites. Use the following dog bite prevention tips from the American Veterinary Medical Association.
Pay Attention to Body Language
Just like humans, dogs can use body language to communicate. Pay attention to a dog’s body language. It can give clues as to how the dog is feeling. The following tends to mean a dog wants to be left alone:
- Avoiding you or walking away
Socialize Your Dog
Socializing prepares your pet to enjoy interactions and be comfortable with other animals, people, places, and activities. Socializing may vary by your animal’s age as well as special circumstances, such as your animal’s own special needs.
Be a Responsible Pet Owner
Pet ownership is a big responsibility. Understanding your role in being a responsible pet owner can help prevent dog bites. Responsible pet ownership includes the following:
- Selecting the right dog for your family.
- Training your dog.
- Socializing your dog.
- Providing your dog with regular exercise.
- Neutering or spaying your dog.
- Keeping your dog out of stressful or threatening situations.
Educate Your Family
Educating yourself and your family about dog bite prevention is important to avoiding bites. Talk to your children about dog bites and how to be safe around animals. Keep your discussion simple and easy to understand for children. Remember the following tips:
- Avoid unknown dogs.
- Always ask the owner for permission to pet their dog.
- Teach children how to act if confronted by an aggressive dog.
- Give your dog a safe space to be left alone. Teach children to leave dogs alone in their bed and/or crate.
- Teach kids to never tease dogs by taking their toys, food, or treats. Never allow children or adults to pretend to hit or kick a dog.
- Always supervise dogs with infants and young children.
- Teach kids to be gentle with dogs. Do not allow children to pull on ears or tails.
- Choose age-appropriate pet responsibility.
- Do not bother a dog that is asleep or eating.
- Give a dog and its puppies space. Especially if the dog is resting with her puppies, seems protective of her puppies, or is anxious about your presence.
Experienced Las Vegas Personal Injury Lawyers
We hope the above tips help you and your loved ones stay safe around dogs. If you are injured by a dog in the Las Vegas area, you should speak with an experienced personal injury lawyer. A personal injury lawyer will work aggressively to protect your rights and help you receive maximum compensation.
Award-winning personal injury law firm Anthem Injury Lawyers is a team of experienced, dedicated personal injury lawyers. We are based in Henderson, Nevada, and serve clients throughout the Las Vegas area. With over 25 years of experience, Anthem Injury Lawyers specializes in personal injury claims, including dog bites. Contact our experienced Las Vegas personal injury lawyers. Our decades of experience, our expertise, plus our deep familiarity with all aspects of Nevada dog bite laws, give you a powerful advantage. We offer you the best opportunity to win significant compensation for your injuries. Contact us today at (702) 857-6000 to make an appointment for a free consultation.