The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) recently released its early estimates of traffic fatalities for 2021. The estimates reveal that last year traffic fatalities reached their highest number since 2005. Here, we are going to discuss traffic fatalities by the numbers and what is being done to make our roads safer.
We hope the below discussion sheds light on the plight facing our roads. If a driver injures you in a Las Vegas area accident, contact an experienced personal injury lawyer. A personal injury lawyer will help to protect your rights and ensure you receive maximum compensation.
As a Las Vegas accident victim, you don’t want to fight alone against insurance companies. They do not have your best interests in mind. Anthem Injury Lawyers has a dedicated team of lawyers and staff ready to help you with your personal injury case. Insurance companies and other parties are not interested in helping you receive what you should as a victim in a Las Vegas accident. Your Las Vegas accident lawyer should have a proven track record of winning cases like yours for significant compensation. Our lawyers offer you 25 years of experience winning top compensation for Las Vegas accident victims.
Time is of the essence when pursuing compensation in car accident cases. Don’t delay—have our Las Vegas accident lawyers review your case. Sometimes people avoid contacting an accident lawyer because they worry about cost. You don’t have to worry about affordability. Our attorneys don’t get paid unless they win your case. Contact Anthem Injury Lawyers at (702) 857-6000 to make an appointment for a free consultation.
Traffic Fatalities by the Numbers
The NHTSA traffic fatality data is troubling. Especially because the numbers that are discussed in this article are more than just numbers. The numbers are people and represent lives that were tragically lost.
2021 Traffic Fatalities
Before we begin comparing 2021 to 2020, it might be helpful to take a look at data from 2021 and 2020. Below is information from the NHTSA on estimates for traffic fatalities by category for 2021:
- Total fatalities: 42,915
- Fatalities in multi-vehicle crashes: 19,777
- Fatalities on urban roads: 25,411
- Fatalities among drivers 65 and older: 7,530
- Pedestrian fatalities: 7,342
- Fatalities in crashes involving at least one large truck: 5,601
- Daytime fatalities: 19,799
- Motorcyclist fatalities: 6,101
- Bicyclist fatalities: 985
- Fatalities in speeding-related crashes: 11,780
- Fatalities in police-reported, alcohol-involvement crashes: 8,174
- Nevada total fatalities: 386
2020 Traffic Fatalities
When looking at the fatality numbers for 2020, consider that fatalities in several categories showed a large increase when compared to 2019. Below is information from the NHTSA on traffic fatalities by category for 2020:
- Total fatalities: 38,824 fatalities
- Fatalities in multi-vehicle crashes: 17,083
- Fatalities on urban roads: 21,940
- Fatalities among drivers 65 and older: 6,578
- Pedestrian fatalities: 6,516
- Fatalities in crashes involving at least one large truck: 4,965
- Daytime fatalities: 17,917
- Motorcyclist fatalities: 5,579
- Bicyclist fatalities: 938
- Fatalities in speeding-related crashes: 11,258
- Fatalities in police-reported, alcohol-involvement crashes: 7,795
- Nevada total fatalities: 317
Comparing 2021 Traffic Fatality Estimates to 2020
The past few years have been deadly years on the road. According to the NHTSA, traffic fatalities in the following categories showed relatively large increases in 2021 as compared to 2020:
- Total fatalities up 10.5%
- Fatalities in multi-vehicle crashes up 16%
- Fatalities on urban roads up 16%
- Fatalities among drivers 65 and older up 14%
- Pedestrian fatalities up 13%
- Fatalities in crashes involving at least one large truck up 13%
- Daytime fatalities up 11%
- Motorcyclist fatalities up 9%
- Bicyclist fatalities up 5%
- Fatalities in speeding-related crashes up 5%
- Fatalities in police-reported, alcohol-involvement crashes up 5%
- Nevada total fatalities up 22%
We hope you and your loved ones stay safe while driving. Unfortunately, many people have lost loved ones over the past two years. If they lost a loved one because of someone else’s negligence, they may have a wrongful death claim. In Nevada, a wrongful death claim is typically brought by a person’s close relatives. Even though no amount of money can replace a loved one, under Las Vegas law, relatives may be able to recover compensation and damages in a wrongful death claim.
If you lost a loved one in a traffic accident that was someone else’s fault, find a personal injury lawyer with wrongful death experience. The legal team at Anthem Injury Lawyers has wrongful death experience. We will fight for you and your loved ones by determining the cause of the accident and identifying potentially liable parties. Contact us at (702) 857-6000 to make an appointment for a free consultation.
National Roadway Safety Strategy
What is being done to make our roads safer? Earlier this year, we discussed the U.S. Department of Transportation’s (USDOT) Safe System Approach. The Safe System Approach has been promoted as an “effective way to address and mitigate the risks inherent in our enormous and complex transportation system.” The Safe System Approach focuses on the following five objectives:
- Safer People: Encourage people on the roads to engage in safe and responsible behavior.
- Safer Roads: Design roadway environments to prevent crashes and mitigate harm to all users.
- Safer Vehicles: Expand the availability of vehicle features that make vehicles safer for everyone.
- Safer Speeds: Promote safer speeds through a comprehensive approach focused on road design, intervention, education, and enforcement.
- Post-Crash Care: Expedient access to emergency medical care to enhance the survivability of crashes and create safe working environments for first responders.
For more information on the USDOT’s efforts to make our roads safer, see Have You Heard of the National Roadway Safety Strategy?
EXPERIENCED LAS VEGAS PERSONAL INJURY LAWYERS
We hope you stay safe on the roads during 2022. If a driver injures you in a Las Vegas area accident, you should speak with an experienced personal injury lawyer. Some people wonder why they need a personal injury lawyer to help them. A personal injury lawyer will work aggressively to protect your rights and help you receive maximum compensation for your injuries.
Award-winning law firm Anthem Injury Lawyers is a team of experienced and dedicated personal injury lawyers. We are based in Henderson, Nevada, and serve clients throughout the Las Vegas area. When we say we offer personal injury law experience, we mean over 25 years of experience. This is the combination of knowledge and expertise you need to win significant compensation as a victim in a Las Vegas area accident. Our decades of experience, our expertise, plus our deep familiarity with all aspects of Nevada law, give you a powerful advantage. You will need that advantage to fight against those who may keep you from receiving what you deserve as a Las Vegas accident victim.
Your choice of an accident lawyer is one of the most consequential decisions you will ever make. It’s important to select a Las Vegas attorney that can put you in the best position to win your case. That’s why you need to speak with Anthem Injury Lawyers. Get the best accident attorneys in Las Vegas fighting for you. Our experts offer you the best opportunity to win top compensation. Contact Anthem Injury Lawyers today at (702) 857-6000 to make an appointment for a free consultation.